I’m a Travelin’ Man…..

I arrived at the airport two hours before my flight. The airline recommended an hour, but I haven’t flown since years before 9/11, and have heard horror stories about getting through security. And I’m sure I tripped all sorts of security flags – first flight in more than 7 years, purchasing a one way ticked online the day before the flight – with no checked baggage. Well, I didn’t get the strip search (Yay) but was ‘selected’ for additional screening. Basically, this means that I was patted down, my shoes, jacket, & laptop were swabbed down and the cloth patch was then run through some sort of analyzer. Then the cloth was swabbed through every compartment of my laptop case and carry bag. Not a horribly unpleasant experience, but not one I’d choose either. Only took about 15 min, and my flight was delayed by half an hour anyway. I’d feel safer if they’d honor my ccw and let me carry on the plane, but….

I was in the last group to board – the ‘cheap’ seats. I was 2 rows behind the over-wing exit. I usually prefer flying in the rear half of the plane so that I can watch the control surfaces (and planes aren’t known for backing into things) I was VERY surprised at the amount of space between the seats, and I even had 2″ of clearance between my knees and the seat in front of me. Now that the plane is rolling, I can finally think that not only do I have plenty of legroom, but the seat next to me is empty – I can flip up the armrest and have both a window AND an aisle seat!

I go aviation-geek and take some pictures during takeoff and climb to cruising – for the kids, honest. I really love how it can be gray & dreary on the ground, and a few minutes later, you are in sunshine, looking down on puffy, white clouds.

There are only a few things that I don’t like about flying – basically, it is difficult to get anything done because the view out the window is too distracting, and my neck gets stiff. I usually have problems with my knees/legs but not on this flight.

After landing, we waited in line on the taxiway for about fifteen minutes while our gate was cleared. Since I have a few hour layover, I’m in no hurry to jostle for position in the aisle, I just watch the ground crew do their well choreographed dance until it’s time for me to get my gear out of the overhead and exit.

While waiting for my connecting flight, I called Dad. We have an appt. with Mom’s Dr. tomorrow morning (Yay), and he has an appointment with a Dr. at home for Tuesday (Yay). I also got a call from my cousin with some less good news. Mom was talking to her sister, and told her that the minute she got out, she was going to dump her pills and not take any more. I can’t say that I’m surprised, but I am surprised that she would actually tell anyone about it. My aunt also said that Mom was talking so fast that she couldn’t get a word in edgewise – which is typical when she is in her ‘high energy’ state. That’s two more things to bring up when we talk with Mom’s Dr tomorrow morning.

The next flight was a bit more crowded but the seat spacing was the same – and I had a window seat on the other side of the plane. The flight was uneventful, and landed on time. Dad picked me up, and we went out to dinner. We talked about stuff that we needed to talk about, and went back to the hotel to get some sleep before the meeting with the Dr. tomorrow.

~ by namegoeshere on April 18, 2007.

One Response to “I’m a Travelin’ Man…..”

  1. Just want you to know that as I read, I am praying…….for all concerned.

Comments are closed.